Fix Microsoft Outlook Has Stopped Working Quickly: Top 10 Techniques
“Yesterday, I opened my Outlook account to send an email to my supervisor. The moment I had clicked the send button, the Outlook stopped working and is in not responding position since then. I have closed and opened Outlook again, but it is still showing the same problem. Please tell me how to fix Microsoft Outlook has stopped working error message issue in Windows 10 OS?”
These days, many MS Outlook users complain about getting “Outlook has stopped working” error. As this issue can be caused by multiple numbers of reasons, the frequency of the error is also high. It becomes ultimately impossible to use Outlook during this error messages, so an expertize solution to this problem is absolutely necessary for the users. In this post, we have picked up 10 best methods of resolving the Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 has stopped working error message problem. Now we will talk about these remedies that will benefit MS Outlook users in Window 10, 8.1, 8, 7 versions efficiently.
How to Fix Microsoft Outlook Has Stopped Working Error: 10 Useful Methods
Here explains 10 most useful and efficient solution to solve Microsoft Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 versions errors without causing any data loss or data damage from the account.
- Wait for Some Time:
The very first thing that a user must do while encountering this issue is to have patience. This issue may have occurred due to some unavoidable technical glitches and will get normal within a few minutes.
- Close Dialog Box:
Sometimes, unattended dialog boxes of MS Outlook can also make Outlook stuck on processing. Check if there are any Outlook dialog boxes opened on your screen that needs your attention. Press ALT+TAB to check for Outlook dialog box in all open windows. If there is any, respond to it. Otherwise, move on to the next method.
- Confirm that Outlook is not in the Middle of a Long Process:
If Outlook is in the middle of a lengthy process, it may become unresponsive until the process ends. Make sure Outlook is not deleting or copying a large number of email messages when you have Microsoft Office Outlook has stopped working error message.
- Create New Outlook Profile:
Creating a new profile on your Outlook can get rid of this problem. Open Outlook and create a new profile with your default email id. Now choose to use Outlook using the newly created profile and see if the issue appears or not. If no, then delete the old profile. If yes, then you may need to repair your Outlook data file.
- Run in Safe Mode:
If you are using any add-ins on your Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 account, it can be the main reasons behind Microsoft Outlook has stopped working error. One helpful trick to avoid this issue is to run MS Outlook in safe mode when all add-ins remain disabled. These are the steps you need to follow to run Outlook in safe mode:
- First of all, close all instances of MS Outlook.
- Run these commands based on your Windows OS versions:
- Windows 7: Click on Start ribbon and in “Search programs and files” box, type Outlook /safe before hitting Enter.
- Windows 8: First, go to the Apps menu and choose Run from there. Then type Outlook /safe and click on OK button.
- Windows 10: Click Start to open the search box. Type exe /safe in the box and press Enter key.
- See if the problem occurs or not. If not, then any of the add-ins must be responsible. Now you have to disable one add-in at a time and open Outlook to find out the main culprit and remove it permanently.
- Update Windows OS and Office:
In case you are using older versions of MS Office and Windows OS, you can face the issue ‘Outlook 2007 is not responding on Windows XP’. Using an updated version of Microsoft Office and Windows OS will, not only fix this problem but also help you to avoid other problems or errors.
- Repair MS Office Installation:
If there is an issue in MS Office installation, Microsoft Outlook has stopped working error message issue might arise. You can repair MS Office installation by performing the following steps given:
- If any Office application is running, close it.
- Go to Control Panel of your system and click on Programs and Features.
- Right-click on MS Office and click on Change option in order to repair.
- Check Event Viewer
Event Viewer is another helpful diagnostic tool in Windows OS that helps to find out the cause of an error.
- Click on Start and type Event Viewer in the search box. Double-click on the Event Viewer from the result to open it.
- From the window of Event Viewer, expand “Windows logs” from the left pane and select Application.
- From the Source column, find out “Outlook”, “Application Error” or “Windows Error Reporting” to check recent logs of events of these three sources. Users should find out the related error information from there. If yes, then act accordingly to eliminate the cause of this error.
- Use scanpst.exe to Repair Corrupt Outlook Data Files
In case the issue is appearing due to Outlook data file corruption, it can be fixed to solve the problem. MS Outlook comes with a built-in repairing tool called scanpst.exe. Try these steps to repair Outlook files using scanpst.exe.
- Click on Start and search for the location of Scanpst.exe.
- Once you have found it from the search results, double-click on it to run.
- Click Browse to select Outlook data file and click Start.
- If any corruption is found, it will be displayed. Click Repair to fix the corruptions.
10. Use Outlook Recovery Utility
If none of the above methods are able to fix Microsoft Outlook has stopped working error message problem, Outlook PST Recovery can be your last resort. This is a reliable solution to resolve any type of Outlook data file corruption and thus solve the causes of Outlook has Stopped Working. Users can fix any size of Outlook PST file using this tool and it supports MS Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2000 in Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP and below versions.
Being an Outlook user, you may face Outlook has stopped responding issue quite often. Keeping in mind the queries such as how to fix Microsoft Outlook has stopped working error, this post described top 10 solutions to solve ‘Outlook stopped working’ problem. Users can try all the manual techniques mentioned here and if none of these works, they can go for the tool.